Advantages and Disadvantages of Electric Cars
There are many advantages and disadvantages of electric cars. We have owned and used a battery powered car since 2006 so we know what it is really like to live with them
as an everyday vehicle.
For further information read The Electric Car Guide - 2015 Edition This will give you
all the information that is need to help you choose if a battery powered vehicle is suitable for your own use.
This is a photo of our driveway including a Mitsubishi i MiEV, TATA Vista Indica EV and Reva G-Wiz
Electric Car Advantages
- Cost of fuel is at an all time record high and still increasing. A electric car is far cheaper to run costing only a few pence per mile.
- No London Congestion charge.
- No road Tax, although you still require a tax disc.
- Government incentives are available both in the UK and US.
- Some parking in London and other cities is free.
- No pollution from the car, and although some CO2 will be produced from the electric required this is still much lower than the amount of CO2 produced by using a car. It is possible to use renewable power or a green energy supplier for your electric.
- In the UK our CO2 emissions from cars for personal use is 13% of the total UK CO2 emissions.
- For each litre of fuel used in a car engine, produces more than 2.5kg of CO2.
- Cheap car insurance, some cars are group 1.
- Help to reduce noise pollution as they are much quieter.
Electric Car Disadvantages
There are a few disadvantages in owning an electric car these include:
- You are normally limited by range and speed. Although this is improving with newer cars.
- Some Electric cars in production are only 2 seated and very small.
- You need to have access to a recharge point. If you live in a block of flats or terraced house you may have no where to recharge.
- A normal recharge time is between 6-8 hours, not as quick as filing up at a petrol station. Although fast chargers are now being installed for newer cars.
- Batteries will need replacing anything from 3 to 10 years, this depends on battery type and amount of driving.
- Electric cars a more expensive to buy than their equivalent petrol vehicle, although this amount could be saved by using an electric car in a few years or less.
Return from Advantages and Disadvantages of Electric Cars to Electric Car Page.